The OC Foundation was pleased to attend last night’s TRIO Upward Bound Graduation. The remarks made by incredible leaders and the involvement of loved ones during the graduation ceremony made for an inspiring celebration.
Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. In particular, Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor’s degree. The goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
The list of colleges accepting this year’s Upward Bound graduates is impressive. And thanks to the program, these future leaders are well prepared for even greater success.
The graduates, along with their families and friends were fortunate to hear remarks made by outstanding community leaders, including:
- Katie Pena and Luis Garcia of the TRIO Upward Bound program
- Rick MacLellan, Chancellor of the Ventura Country Community College District
- Roger Adams, Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services of the Oxnard Union High School District
- Julisa Cortes ’21, Public Health & Sociology student at Johns Hopkins University
- Gabriela Torres, Board of Trustees Vice Chair of the Ventura County Community College District
The OC Foundation is a proud supporter of TRIO at Oxnard College and looks forward to following the success of its students.
Click on the photos for a larger view.